One of the things you should care about when starting a WordPress blog is the SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
SEO is what will say to Google, Yahoo how important is your content.
Today we are going to set some XHTML tags in our template code:
1. Index.php (home)
– Use the H1 tag in the blog name / logo.
– Use the H2 tag for the post title.
<h2><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="< ?php the_title(); ?>">< ?php the_title(); ?></a></h2>
2. Single.php (post page) & Page.php (static page)
Here we must tell the spiders that the post title is the most important part of the page.
– Use the H1 tag for the post title
3. Archive.php (Category, Tags, Years… page)
You can follow the Index.php advices.
After apply this tags you have to pass the W3 Validator. Like this blog does.
It is not necesary to validate every page of your blog (but would be nice). At least do it for the home page and the single post page. A clean output code means better SEO.
Now its your turn. What your advice to Optimize a WordPress theme?